Thursday, February 10, 2011

mouth of the lion

I have never been one to see "satan lurking behind every bush".  For the longest time, I completely disregarded his work altogether.  Evil was not something I wanted to acknowledge, let alone spend time thinking about.

As I grow deeper in my relationship with the Father, however, I become more and more sensitive to the workings of the enemy.  There are mornings I literally roll out of bed and whisper, "not today.  Today is not yours".  The more I get to know the Father, the more acutely aware I am of anything that is not of Him.

And as I walk along a path, following the Lord, I feel an increase in satan's efforts.  It frustrates me to even think about it.  In the course of the last forty-eight hours, as God has made it clear that everything I know is about to change, I have been plagued with terrible fears.  Fears of dying.  Fears of losing loved ones.  Weird dreams about monkeys and food in my glove compartment (that's probably not satan.  But I don't ever dream... and for some reason, I woke up remembering this one.).  And illegitimate fears of running out of underarm deodorant.

Yeah.  The enemy is working the full spectrum.  Looking for chinks in my armor.

Through the words of His children throughout today, however, my Father has been speaking.  About how He's called us to pour ourselves out, to love on the least of these, to trust Him.  To go.

Tonight a wise man described the enemy as a toothless lion.  And I was overwhelmed with this realization.  This realization that as much as satan is my enemy, I am his.  Me.  The focus and center of Christ's attention.  The bride.  The child of God.  Full of the promise of Heaven and the power of the Cross.

As much as I am irritated with the attacks of the enemy... he is equally frustrated by me.

Which makes me smile a little bit.

And whisper, "I have been saved from the mouth of lion... Saved for the kingdom of heaven... praise be to the Lord..." (2 Timothy 4:16-18 MSG)

I am full of the power of the Creator of the Universe.

I have the Savior of the world's name sealed on my forehead.

And when I walk in a room, I carry within me a light that blinds and heals and overpowers darkness.

This is the same light I will carry with me as I embark on this new journey.  This new chapter will be earmarked by a deep realization that the Almighty is more powerful than a fallen angel.  And I belong to the great I Am.

Ephesians 6:9-11: Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.

No comments: