Monday, February 14, 2011

Marty

There is this word.  An African name.  Amachi.

"Who knows what God has brought us through this child."

-

Tonight, there is a tiny body growing.

There is a heart beating.

There is a new life.

I am overwhelmed with love for this child already.

A child who will come into this world while I am on the other side of it.

Who I will not meet until he is about to take first steps.

But God told me he was coming.  Whispered in my ear... a truth about his spirit.

This new life will be what saves our family.

He will enter into a world of pride and music.

Coming in on the other side of decades of hurt and pain.

He will come into a family who has learned to love in spite of ourselves.

A family who has been destroyed and rebuilt.

Much like his mama... who was the first breath of fresh air our family had felt in twelve years.

He will be Nehemiah.

He will be Moses.

He will be our Isaac, our John.

And he will have too many teeth in his head.

A head, which will be characteristically large.

With a great capacity to love and pensive wrinkles on his forehead.

He will use words he's maybe not supposed to.  And wheeze when he laughs.

When the brand new Vaughan arrives, I will be in Africa.

I will call him Isaiah - a repairer of walls.

Or Boaz - the kinsman redeemer.

What a burden to place on infant shoulders.

What a joy his promise has brought to our hearts.

God told me he was coming.

And so the adventure, which will take me far away from him...

will be ventured in his name.

For his sake, I will go.

I will bring part of the world home with me.

All the pieces of the world I will lay at his feet.

And his sweet name will be sung into the African winds and through the gypsy camps and over the Atlantic ocean.

Who knows what God will bring us through this child?

www.brandnewvaughan.com

No comments: