Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Two Trails

The trail had grown steep again. Narrow and rocky, sometimes it was hard to keep my footing. The trees rose overhead, breaking up the radiant light from the sun. We had only been hiking for a little while. My muscles were warming up, but my lungs were still full of air.

Just ahead I saw the trail split in two. One faint, leaf-strewn trail wound to the left and the other to the right.

I had come to crossroads such as these before. I knew what to do.

I shifted the weight of my pack on my shoulders and stopped. He had been walking beside me the whole time, so he stopped too. Although, this time, he didn't say anything. Just looked at me and then at the trails; sweat was beading on his forehead and light sparkled in his eyes.

"Which way?"

Confused, I frowned and shook my head.

"No, no. You tell me! Which way do we go? Right or left?"

He took a breath and shrugged. "I've been up both trails before. They lead to the same place. I will go with you, whichever way you choose. So you tell me. Left or right?"

I froze. As the sun passed over the canopy of leaves, I could feel its heat on my skin. I shivered. This was not part of the deal.

"But I don't know where I'm going!" I argued, straining my neck to see if I could see if he was right - that both trails went up to the summit.

"But I do. It's not like you're going to get lost. I told you I'd be with you. But I've seen both trails - they're nothing new to me. Beautiful. But not new. You're the one who's never been here before. So you pick."

"Which way is the right way?" I secretly wondered if he was tricking me. If one trail was full of steep climbs or muddy slopes. If one trail housed bears and lions and snakes. Was this a test? Should I already know the answer?

"There is no wrong way."

"But which way is RIGHT?" I was sure he was tricking me. He leaned forward, earnestness filling his eyes.

"Seriously, my love. You want to get to the next summit? Both of these trails will take you there. Both are beautiful in their own way. Let's go. Come on. I want you to decide this one."

I took a deep breath and took a step to the right. A few more steps and I was pretty sure I'd made up my mind. Why was this decision so hard? Why, after this whole journey, would he let me pick now? I just wanted to be told which way to go. I'd go that way, as long as he said so.

But no. There he was. Waiting on me. And I didn't trust him.

I stopped at the trailhead and peered through the foliage. The pit in my stomach wouldn't dissolve. The peace I was so used to feeling when I knew he was in the lead was gone... fear loomed over my head like a cloud.

I was making too big of a deal about this.

He was being patient with me, however, and he had followed me to the right just like he said he would. Maybe it really didn't matter? He had said both ways were beautiful. He'd seen them before.

He just wanted to go with me this time. Experience it with me.

As I looked over my shoulder I watched the light pass over the other trailhead. Casting beams of light on the sparse grass and pebbles. Faintly, ever so faintly, I heard a waterfall rushing in the distance.

"I changed my mind."

The words came over before I'd really realized they were true.

"Alright then." He smiled at me. Reaching out, he cupped my face in his hands. "There's nothing to be afraid of, you know that right?"

And I knew that then.

"Which way?" He asked as he turned around on his heels.

"That way," I pointed toward the left. Toward the sound of the waterfall.

"Let's go that way then!" He said excitedly. "You're going to love this - really, I'm so glad we're doing this together."

No comments: