Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bride of Christ

I got to witness something beautiful today: perhaps one of the most meaningful weddings I've ever attended.

Save the bridal party and the family, I was one of the people who'd known the groom the longest. As I walked into the chapel this afternoon, my mind was flooded with thoughts. I was connecting the dots. Recognizing the paths we'd all taken to get us there today.

And as the doors opened and his bride walked down the aisle, I saw Jesus in the groom's face. I saw a transformed man who has helped change my life radically. I remember hearing him tell me about her for the first time. The night after their first date. The night he realized he was in love. When he went to go pick out engagement rings. But I also remember the first time I heard him talk about his love for God. And about God's love for him. I remember watching his life be ignited by faith.

After the ceremony, a few of us walked down the hall and "went" to church.

As I sat there in the midst of a large group of people, I was overwhelmed with symbolism.

Isaiah 62:5 says as a bridegroom rejoices in his bride, so our God will rejoice over us. And I find myself praying we would walk down the aisle and Christ's face would light up... just like that.

May we would be found pure and blameless. May He recognize us as His own. Loving us... pleased with us.

I know God was glorified today by the union of my friends. The holy metaphor, which was played out for us, points to Him as long as they live in love.

What a great story.

No comments: