Monday, May 3, 2010

My Prayer

Put me where You want me.
To do the work I was created to do.
To be an extension of Your arm.

Reluctantly today I ask You would remind me I am nothing without You.
I don't like to be reminded of this, but I know I will get in my own way.
I will stumble and trip over my own feet if I let myself get ahead of You.

What I am, who I am, the Spirit residing in me is connecting with the Spirit who resides in the world.
Collision.

My perfect life is a messy one.
The one You want for me is a glorious mess.
But that is what You do. Your trademark. Making beauty from messes.

I am called to simplicity.
To diversity.
To chaos.

You have burned on my heart a calling to get in the way.
You have given me a rough edge.
And evolved in me a compassionate heart.

Teach me to be who I am.
To give, to love, to pray.
And nothing more.

To be content with who I am in You.
To not put on airs. (1pet.5:6)
To seek your guidance about where to put each foot.

May I worship You with my life.
To carry Your light to the darkness,
making a life out of remembering the forgotten.

This is not about me.
It is not about the ghetto.
This is not about the suburbs.

This is not about evangelism.
It is not about religion.
This is not about doctrine or denomination.

Forget authority.
Disregard so-called superiority.
Nevermind.

This is about love.
"If I give everything I have to the poor, but do not love, then I've gotten nowhere," (1Cor13)
This is about Who loves us.

So put me where You want me.
To do the work You set aside for me to do.
May my hands and heart and words be an extension of Yours.

For I do not carry You anywhere.
I do not take You to the dark places.
I do not introduce You to the emptiness.

You are already there.
Hovering over the deep.
Waiting, from time to time, for us to make a formal introduction.

May our hearts break as Yours does.
Remind us what matters.
What counts as worthy in Your eyes.

Not commending.
Not importance.
Not attention.

Love.

Go ahead of us.
May we walk in Your footprints.
Be patient with us as we learn to love like You do.

May we learn what may be the harder lesson.
To accept Your love for us.
And to sink deep in the shadow of Your wing.

No comments: