Sunday, February 7, 2010

5

I leave for Africa in five days.

It didn't hit me until yesterday.

I woke up and laid in bed for a few minutes, thinking about Bible study on Wednesday night.

I whispered before I got up, "sorry for the inconvenience, satan. but whatever plans you had for me today, im going to need you to cancel those. thanks."

I was overwhelmed with stress in the morning hours while I sat at work. Making lists and thinking about anything and everything except my work. I felt stress rising up in me like a flood.

And then, through it all, I heard Him.

"What are you worried about? Seriously? You're set. I've taken care of you so far, haven't I? Why do you think that would change now?"

So on my lunch break I started checking things off my list. I made phone calls and filled prescriptions and cashed checks after work.

I leave for Africa in 5 days.

And if I needed to hop on a plane right now, I'd be ready.

Because God is good. And He cares about the smallest details.

My cup is overflowing.

And as I feel the stress melt away, I feel it being replaced by excitement.

As the day progressed yesterday, I drove through town and was hit with the realization that this time next week, there would be no street lights.

No traffic lights.

No Starbucks.

I had a fleeting feeling that the real adventure was about to begin.

But I chided myself for that - because this whole life is an adventure.

The pace is just about to pick up.

The scene is about to change.

I say I'm ready.

But that remains to be seen.

-

A few things God has been impressing on my heart the last couple of days...

is about how we must be careful never to mistake a blessing for an attack.

We believe that the best way to fend off satan is to acknowledge his work and call him out on his lies.

However, not every hardship, not every wrinkle, is his doing.

Sometimes, we give credit to satan when it should have gone to God.

Like Thursday. When the Travel Clinic called me about my yellow fever vaccination (which I'd already gotten through my doctor on Tuesday). When I explained to them I no longer needed the vaccination, they asked if I had a booklet of certification.

What?

A little yellow book that you must have with you to enter the country. Proves you received the vaccination.

And I didn't have it.

My initial reaction was, "back off, satan, this is not going to keep me from going."

Before I realized, had the Travel Clinic not called, I wouldn't have KNOWN about the book. And neither would one of my teammates.

I was able to call and get a booklet from my doctor and all was made right within just a few minutes.

But I had almost given credit where it was not due.

And God convicted my heart of that. "Learn to recognize Me," He said. "Don't mistake a blessing for an attack. Don't assume everything I do will be all neatly tied in a bow."

-

I leave in 5 days.

Life is happening now.

But everything is about to change.

No comments: