Monday, April 6, 2009

Mississippis


Lightening illuminates the sky.

One Mississippi.
Two Mississippi.
Three Mississippi.

Thunder rolls across the earth, coming from inside somewhere.

Sky is black and long. Stretching farther than it did earlier in the day... clouds and arms outreached over the horizon.

-

I was driving to work on Friday morning when Katherine called and proclaimed her newfound love for morning time. "I'm a morning person, I just didnt know it!" And I felt a twinge of jealousy.

I don't know what the world looks like in the mornings. What the new sun feels like when it's low in the east. What early morning dew feels like on my bare feet. What bright morning sunshine might feel like on my skin.

Dramatic?

It feels that way, when the only light I know is light that is on its way out.

-

On Sunday I went to church and sat through service with the best man in my life.

We watched one of our favorite men play the drums.

And I watched art being formed on the stage.

Then I went upstairs to take care of babies.

I held him in my arms. Fed him. Rubbed his bald forehead as he fell asleep.

He sank in my arms as I rocked back and forth on my heels.

And I knew, on some level, I was meant for this.

-

We didn't have a scheduled meeting tonight.

Two of us missed our family desperately. So we made a few phone calls. Drove down the street and met up with our sisters and a brother. Ate and laughed and walked through the rain.

Spontaneous. Intentional. Beautiful.

-

Rain pelts down on the asphalt.

Shoes off.

Pants rolled up.

Run.

Body falls into line.

Limbs move in rhythm.

Rain pelts on my face.

I feel connected.

-

One Mississippi.
Two Mississippi.
Three Mississippi.

The sky is full.

Our lives are full.

Drenched.

We must learn to see.

In anticipation of thunder, which rolls beneath our very feet.

What is beauty?

-

Beauty is life.

Being drenched by the rain.

Holding life in your arms.

Understanding, for the first time, that life is short.

-

Beauty is the Mississippis you count between the lightening and thunder.

When your breath is captured in your chest and you watch the sky...

And instead, feel all you know rumble beneath your feet.

No comments: