Thursday, April 2, 2009

Answers (Part Two)


"Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward."

"Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged. Be strong and courageous."

"Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit."

"But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid."

"The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified."

"But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God."

"Then Jesus said to Simon, "Don't be afraid; from now on you will catch men." So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him."

-

I walked into church tonight, hoping for a miracle. I even voiced this to my sister before leaving my house. I was hoping for a silly little miracle. A serendipity... Turns out, my expectations were low.

You see, I walked into a series at TSB titled "Miracles".

Tonight, we talked about Peter.

A simple man.

Who stepped out of a boat.

And in the face of fear,

he fell into the waiting arms of Jesus.

-

Through the windows in the Atrium, the Jessamine County sky was growing dark and lightening flashed and the clouds raced by.

Steve stood in front of the windows and said, "I've heard it said, faith is about going to the end of all the light you have. And taking one more step."

This definition of faith in essence means we are always taking steps forward. As believers, as little Christs, we carry our light with us.

Then Steve said, "It seems to me that every time God, Jesus, or an angel shows up on the scene and says 'Do not be afraid', something really big is about to happen."

I sat in my seat and my mind ran through the though Esther and Ruth and Moses and Abraham and Joseph and Mary and Peter and Daniel and David... of angels who appeared to shepherds. And then I remembered the Bible I had been handed just yesterday.

I had opened up to the passage in 1 Chronicles... "Be strong and courageous... Do not be afraid".

I claimed this verse as my own.

"Do not be afraid..."

That was my answer.

-

Something big is about to happen.

It's been building for a while.

I've been in a state of preparation and growth...

I am, even now, seeking my true identity. Looking for my purpose.

Growing up.

I have been residing in this middle ground for a few years now.

In betweens and transitions and gray areas.

Getting ready for what comes next... always anticipating.

This season is coming to an end.

I am reaching the end of all the light I have.

-

It will soon come time to take a step beyond.

In faith.

In the face of fear.

To fall into the waiting arms of Jesus.

-

"Be strong and courageous... Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you..."

No comments: