Sunday, August 19, 2007

Golden Dreams

I made a list like this once a long time ago.
Do we call these ambitions?
Goals?
I've said before, I am not good with goals.
Tim McGraw sang about this.
And as much as I hate to admit it, I resonate with country songs like that.
What would you do if you could not fail?
What if you knew that you had one day left to live?
I don't know if I think in such terms so much as...
It is more like...
This is what my heart is all about.
Not so much the doing.
But the soul behind the act.
Because, we've all seen a sunrise.
But not all of them are magical.
It is our attitude, our purpose, our intention, the eyes we use to see.
So the list I'm about to give you might mean nothing to anyone but myself.
And I can guarantee some of this will seem trivial. Juvenile, even. Pointless, perhaps.
But there is a bit of my soul in all of it.
A soul a lot of you may not recognize (I am sure there will be a blog soon about being what others expect you to be... and waking up one morning to find you are not so much the Anna they thought. But, indeed, someone entirely different).

It's not so much about the doing.

So, in no particular order:

1. Build a very big snowman.
2. Teach someone something.
3. Learn to blow glass.
4. Chase a storm.
5. White water raft.
6. Kayak.
7. See a whale.
8. Sleep on the beach.
9. Give something away.
10. Be a good friend.
11. Find home.
12. Eat sushi.
13. Skydive.
14. See the Northern Lights.
15. Surf.
16. Dance.
17. Laugh. A lot.
18. Have a cat (I would name him Solomon).
19. Ski.
20. Migrate.
21. Open a coffee shop.
22. Have a big family.
23. Go to Europe.
24. Ride a camel.
25. And an elephant.
26. Tell a story.
27. Be willing.

The list will be added to.
And subtracted from as things are accomplished.
Which I have every intention of doing.
The goal, however, is not to complete the list, but to ever remain ambitious.
Courageous enough to stretch the limits of who you are and what you do.
Inspired by a very wise man, this is not about the false summit.
As told in the life's work of another man, now passed, the treasure is in the journey.

No comments: