Sunday, January 2, 2011

Beauty for ashes

She's married. I can hardly wrap my mind around it. One of my oldest, dearest friends. She has a new name.

We've been through so much life together. For the past few years, however, we've not spent much time together. But one day in August our paths began to run parallel again. What a gift. What a sweet, sweet gift.

Tonight I walked into her wedding reception. Tears had been welling for hours already. I was worried about her - her stress level and the burden of a busy, crazy life. But tonight I walked into the large room decorated in the most simple way. And was greeted by her mama who said, "it's about time you got here".

I found her in the middle of the room. And my heart leapt out of my chest. There she was. With light and love in her eyes and a ring on her finger. Bless her... my best friend. A wife.

She was who I grew up with. Not in the chronological sense. But she is the one with whom I found myself. We grew gardens and drank loose leaf tea and burned incense. We hit tennis balls back and forth in Woodland Park and had dance parties in the living room and smoked clove cigarettes. We both were looking for a big, strong man who could handle our boldness. Who would let us be ourselves. Who would love our families.

She's found hers. Her big, strong man. Her husband.

And in her face tonight I saw freedom. Joy. I watched her dance with him and with her nieces and nephews (who she so graciously shared with me since I dont have any of my own). And at one point in the night I watched them as Liza and Nick danced together and sang a sweet song to each other. Then the tears came.

We all danced together before the night was over. More familiar than almost anything, spending New Years Day with this precious girl. What a joy for me to walk away, having seen the way they love each other. Having been assured of God's timing and sweet serendipity.

She is beauty. Pure and simple, at it's finest. God, pour out all Your blessings on your sweet daughter. My dear friend. I am so grateful for her.

No comments: