Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Get In the Way

I want to save the world. I want to give them vitamins and work on their grammar and give them a place to play basketball. I want to hand them hiking shoes and a Bible. I hold him as he sleeps, praying over him, hoping his life will be anointed. And that the cycle will stop here. I watch her buy groceries, wondering how many nights a week she eats by herself and I want to draw her into community.

I don't want to give them things. I don't want to supply the world with what it wants... with stuff to crowd the corners and load the shelves.

If anything, I want to strip it all away.

I do want them to have what they need.

Everything from a hand to hold to clean diapers to hope.

But I find myself seeing ways to help, and I hear myself, reminding myself I cannot change anything.

I want to save the world.

I want to break the cycle.

I want to cure loneliness and resolve anger and end poverty.

I want people to think for themselves. I want people to use lots and lots of energy. I want people to learn and people to make things and people to love each other.

I am an idealist.

I might be naive.

I was raised to believe in the micro-evolution of the human psyche.

Layman's terms? People don't change. Not really. Not significantly.

-

Can I tell you a secret?

I honestly believe we can break the cycle.

By recognizing needs and meeting them.

By identifying gifts and building on them.

By loving.

By expecting more from each other.

By respecting one another.

-

So naive.

-

But not so naive to think I could do it alone.

Not so naive that I don't see what is bad, what is ugly, what is stubborn, what is dangerous.

Not so naive that I expect change to look like I think it will.

-

Because here's the deal.

People don't want to change.

People want different lives. People want to be different. People want more of this and less of that. They want what you have. And they want to give that away.

But people don't want to change.

I'm not just talking about them... those people you see but don't identify with. Those strangers you know are unhappy. That minority you judge. The statistic you scorn.

You don't want to change either.

And neither do I. Not really.

-

So let's hope the world doesn't give up on you... the next time you grow stagnant and fall into unhealthy behavior or are brokenhearted.

Because people can change.

I've seen it happen.

We just don't want to.

-

So. You be change.

Because, where we all get confused, is in thinking we can change others.

Which we cannot do. No matter how hard we try.

No matter how many buckets of food, how many counseling sessions, how many softball leagues, how many cups of coffee ...

What we do doesn't change people.

What we do doesn't save people.

But people are watching you, and you are full of the power of the One who can cause change. A power, which manifests itself as Love.

And Love gets people's attention.

-

So I will spend my life taking the Light I possess one step further.

I will love people who will never love me back. And I'll not want to do that sometimes.

I will be a vessel.

Stir the pot.

Rock the boat.

Get in the way.

-

That is my calling.

To be an empty vessel, filled with the power and love that belongs to the only One who can save the world.

No comments: