Thursday, April 8, 2010

Listening

I talk to Him all the time. All day long, He and I are in conversation.

On days like today, I talked His ear off. I told Him what I thought I knew, what I thought I heard, what I thought I felt. I told Him I'd go wherever He asked. I asked Him to remind me about my love for Africa - because the enemy was picking it apart. I told Him all I really wanted was to be where He was. That I understood that He liked weird places. I explained that I knew that this time there might not be a wrong answer. But I wanted to please Him.

If I could have seen Him sitting across the table from me, I would have seen Him try to speak three or four times. I would have seen Him lift His hand to stop me. I would have seen Him lean forward and open His mouth, about to speak.

Finally... when I stopped... He whispered.

"If you would just stop talking for a second and listen to me." I think He was laughing at me.

"Trust Me from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for My voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; I'm the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume that you know it all.(prov3)"

So. Sheepishly, I leaned back in my seat.

And just for good measure, I reminded Him. "If you will just TELL me where to go..."

I think my heart shook with His laughter.

"I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own.(jer33:3)"

So. I am trying to listen.

"Pray continuously", after all, does not mean "speak endlessly".

No comments: