Wednesday, March 16, 2011

High Waters and Sunglasses

Spring's coming.  The thunderstorm that woke me up at 3:30 AM told me so.  The world is turning and we are tilting gently towards the sun and what was frozen is melting and what was asleep is being awakened.

I woke up periodically throughout the night to bright flashes of lightening and deep rumbles of thunder.  My heart skipped, knowing how close this new season is.

And just like I do every morning, around 6:30 AM I pulled out of my driveway and went on my way to work.  Rain pelted against my windshield, trickled through the duct tape holding my back passenger-side window in place.  Thunder shook the asphalt under my car and rain shot furiously to the ground in the yellow cast of slow-moving headlights.

I almost hydroplaned multiple times.  As I drove down one of the main arteries in Lexington, I began to notice traffic was moving slower and slower.  Bottlenecking, even.  Suddenly I saw why.

Just ahead of me, the asphalt dipped, creating a basin.  A basin where at least eight inches of water churned.  Swirled.  Nasty and gray and fast-moving.  Traffic was merging to the right lane because in the left lane there was an Oldsmobile parked in the middle of the churning rainwater.  Lights on, wipers slinging rain.  

There was no other option but to slowly navigate the little river that had flooded the road.  Carefully I merged right and passed the Oldsmobile.  Something told me to look as I passed.

I watched a big, black man lean forward in his seat, just a shadow in the fogginess.  Then I watched as he pulled into traffic right behind me, as if he'd been waiting for me to pass.

-

Let me tell you a secret.  One that is important for you to know.  You are going to think I'm crazy.  And believe me, I'm ok with that.

God manifests Himself to me all the time.  In the wind.  And through people wearing sunglasses.  

Yeah.  I said it.  

Lately God's been making His presence known through people wearing sunglasses.  Strange, you say?  Absolutely.  But it is very much a "you can watch My back as I pass you by" sort of holy gesture.  It's not everyone wearing sunglasses.  Every once in a while God will deliberately get my attention, or startle me with a check on my spirit, and He will show up.  Yesterday He was riding a bicycle down Liberty Road.  The very first time, he was an old, black man with dreads sitting in an blue Chevy.  Both we wearing sunglasses.  Both showed up at a moment when I needed God to remind me that He is creative.  And He is close.

Olivia and I send text messages back and forth over the course of the week.  Most conversations start out with "Today He is..." and one or both of us will describe our interactions, or distant encounters, with the Almighty that day.  It's a beautiful, simple thing.  Our way of inviting God to take a walk with us (or maybe... His invitation to walk with Him).  Something I truly believe our Father delights in.  

This morning, however, when that Oldsmobile pulled into traffic behind me I heard the Father say: "that's Me, sweetheart.  Right there.  Keeping you out of high waters.  Blocking your way, so you don't get in over your head.  I am your Protector.  I am your Hero.  I am in your way."

I sent Olivia a text message that said, "today, He wasn't wearing sunglasses."

The significance of His sweet words this morning wouldn't hit me until later this afternoon, when I realized I was losing a battle.  A battle with the enemy I didn't even know I was fighting.  

I was being suppressed, held down, by this horrible melancholy and sadness.  I had convinced myself of something, and had slipped into this state of sorrow over it.  At the time I didn't realize just how deceptive the enemy can be.  I am used to him attacking me with anxiety and fear and insecurity.  Not with resignation.

So when I heard the voice of Truth whisper in my ear today, "I will take your every thought captive"... and I returned with the prayer, "God, please, take my every thought captive"...

I didn't expect what happened next.

Sorrow was lifted.  

Instantaneously.  

There had been a battle going on for my thoughts.  With my surrender, came God's victory.

And I heard His words again.  "I am keeping you out of high waters.  Blocking the treacherous way, so you don't get in over your head.  I am your Protector.  I am your Hero."

Blessed am I, the beloved daughter of the Strongest One.  The precious child of a Creator who loves His creation enough to hop into a blue Chevy and breathe heavy so the wind blows.  The Almighty who "came down to find us", to find me, the one who got lost.

A couple of nights ago I was praying and I saw Him.  Squatting on His knees, with the whole world cupped in His hands.  I saw Him peer close, as close as He could get His face, and whisper strongly, quietly: "I love you... so much."

That is the image I want to leave you with tonight.

No comments: