Wednesday, March 16, 2011

darkness

I am afraid of the dark.

I hate walking into dark rooms.  I hate shadows.  I hate it when I forget to leave my porch light on and I come home to a dark doorstep.

My sweet sister shares this fear with me.

It can be really paralyzing.  And with imaginations like ours, it can be terrifying.

It is only scary when I'm alone though.

So when I got a text from my sister tonight, asking for me to pray for her over the phone as she got ready for bed, I understood.  Sometimes just a voice is all we need.

Sometimes a voice can banish all fear.

I called her.  And prayed for her.  As I prayed, tears just started streaming down my face.

I don't really know why.  Other than every once in a while, I am overwhelmed by Jesus.  I am consumed with amazement over the power of prayer and just how special it is.  Together Olivia and I went to Jesus and said, "Hey.  The darkness really scares us.  Be bigger than that."

And He was.

Tonight, I keep thinking about what John says in his gospel.

Candles blazing, lanterns lit, spirits shining - straight into the darkest depths.

"In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." (John 1:4-5 ESV)

No comments: