Saturday, July 31, 2010

Men After God's Own Heart

There was a time when I questioned whether or not there were any men of God left.

I watched as men abused, neglected, and detached. They took advantage and objectified. There was not a leader to be found - not a pure heart to be seen. I was discouraged and all but lost hope.

I am not the only one who felt this way. Everyone saw it: an epidemic of apathy and weakness had ravaged the male population, and even those who called themselves Christians rarely stepped up to the plate.

But not too long ago, it seems, this world was shaken. Hearts were awakened. Maybe... my own eyes were simply opened.

I watched as boys became men. As they began to use their strength and their power to love the world.

I watched as the men around me began to look like Jesus.

As they bent low to pick up small children. As they pursued God with fierceness and intentionality. They were broken, humbled, and put back together.

I grew up loathing the concept of a "submissive woman". I had no desire to be a doormat - to let a man lead, just because he was a man. I was not a "feminist", but I wanted to be respected, to be listened to, and to have an opinion.

These desires were based on my experience with men from the past. Men who couldn't be trusted. Men who weren't providers. Weren't leaders. Weren't seeking after the Father.

But I've been sitting back and watching lately.

As these men pull children into their arms. As they load dryers and washers into houses. Putting together basketball goals. Playing kickball and passing out ice cream sandwiches. Teaching young boys how to be good men.

"You don't hit girls," I hear them say. "If a girl hits you, show her your muscles and walk away..."

-

I have watched you - before my very eyes - become men after God's own heart.

I have watched you rise up as leaders, as providers, as protectors. You are strong. You are being humbled. You are stepping up.

And for the first time ... my heart is at ease, when it comes to submitting to you.

I can trust you. Because you trust the Lord.

I pray for you daily. My heart is delighted in what I see. The hope I'd lost has returned. Because of you, a whole generation will have a chance to change. Because of you and your integrity, there is a neighborhood, which will never be the same.

Because of this change in you, women have been urged to become better as well. The plague of apathy did not just effect the male population - we have suffered from it as well. But God has called to us, and we are answering. We, too, are now striving to fulfill our roles (not gender roles, but roles as women after God's own heart). To do our own work, to complete our own race, to pursue our own calling. But also to support you, work alongside you, intercede for you.

I am encouraged by you - all who, in your own way, fulfill God's calling. Thank you for stepping up. For allowing the power of the Spirit to consume you. For being strong. For being loving. For being wild.

God is working through each one of you. Leading you in a race - rewarding you for your perseverance.

Thank you for who you have become. For who you are.

No comments: