Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lilies and Sparrows


I am being prepared.

In the very midst of training.

What I was, was not enough.

Who I am, would not survive.

But He sees - He knows.

And His love is too great to sit above and watch.

-

"Come to me," He whispers.

I draw close.

Reach high - take hold.

In the crook of His arm, He cradles me.

His face pressed close to mine, He whispers things to me about who I am.

"Hear me," He urges. "My voice, my words, my will... hear."

As I begin to understand, I begin to hear words in a new way.

A familiar Voice, speaking familiar instructions, with much more power.

Much more weight.

"Do not be anxious..."

"Do not worry about tomorrow..."

"The plans I have for you are meant for prosperity and hope..."

"Seek first My kingdom..."

With open ears, open eyes, I hear and see afresh.

Fear rises in my chest.

What this means is a new life.

A life I am not strong enough to live on my own.

He wraps His arms tighter around me.

"Not by your strength. Not by your might..."

"It is through Me, you can do all things."

The path stretches far ahead. Up mountains, through valleys, deep into ravines. But, clearly, I can only make out the next step. One step.

His tight hold on me begins to loosen and I feel Him lowering me to the ground.

I'm not ready to let go.

"I'm not letting go," He reassures me. "But it's time to go."

His large, callused hand engulfs mine. Together, we take one step forward. Side by side.

"Now, you must do. Do what I have asked. Do what I have called you to do - live out what I have taught you."

-

I am being prepared. Even now.

What I was, who I am, is not enough.

But I am not alone.

I, who am so much more loved than sparrows and lilies, will press ahead.

With expectancy.

Armed with a promise.

Of His perfect will, of His great provision.

No comments: