Friday, June 3, 2011

All Forward Motion

It's amazing how growth reveals itself.


Yesterday I started running and didn't stop.  Breath filled my lungs.  My muscles pumped for a farther distance and a longer amount of time than they had since before I got sick.  When did I get strong enough to go so far?  When did my lungs expand enough, fill with enough air, to carry me as far as I needed to go?


Similarly, I am amazed at how an old, familiar situation can arise and you will find yourself responding in a new way.  With more wisdom and discernment and self control.  You always wish you had more, and you always wish you had, perhaps, avoided the situation completely.  But you are leaps and bounds ahead of where you were last time.


Words come out of your mouth, which you recognize as truth.  You realize you believe something new.  You heal more quickly, and some of the enemy's old lies don't hold water anymore.


You go looking for the hurt, the insecurity, the doubt, the brokenness, which you expect to be there.  Hollowing out your heart and setting up camp.  But what you find is wholeness.  An unexpected resilience.  


In that very moment, you must be grateful.  Grateful for every setback, every heartbreak, every wound, every rejection, every decision which led you here -- to this point.  Because now you are stronger.  Now there is fruit.


Progress.  You are not who you used to be.  You have grown.  Three steps forward, perhaps even two steps back.  But you are not the same.

No comments: