Saturday, July 18, 2009

pedestrian


Perhaps this has been my problem for months now.

God has developed in me a love for His creation.

And it has been months since I've immersed myself in it.

My problems, my worries, my fears are backed up in me... piled too high, too deep for me to navigate on my own.

I am a pedestrian at heart.

Going on foot.

Solvitur ambulando.

It is solved by walking.

-

I imagine myself staring at a trailhead.

Shoulders heavy-laden.

With everything I think I need.

Everything they've told me I can't make the trip without.

At first, the going is easy. Paved, clear-cut. You tell yourself, the way the pack hurts your shoulders is normal. You will adjust.

But the trail narrows as you climb higher.

Overgrown.

Uneven.

You look ahead, look up.

And everything you are, seems not to be enough.

-

At what point do you start to put down your load?

To drop your pack, to lay down your map.

To begin to travel light,

to move freely.

-

The world looks different to those who are not carrying a burden.

-

I'm leaving my burdens at the trailhead today.

I will walk my problems out.

My blood will circulate.

My lungs will fill with air, and empty again.

My muscles will stretch.

My skin will smile... kissed by air that has not been filtered, sunlight that has not been manufactured.

-

This is my remedy.

I am, by definition, a pedestrian.

No comments: