Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Invisible

I am experiencing an emotion that has no name.

It is an emotion paired with an internal rhythm.

Matched with a deep calling.

Married to an unparalleled purpose.

-

I remember when hundreds of people slept in Triangle Park one night a few years ago. I stood looking at the television with Larry in my grandparents' kitchen and asked: "what is that all about? it seems so pointless. do they even know what they are doing this for?"

It would be years before my question was answered.

Before I realized why they used terms like "invisible" and "displaced".

-

The first time I watched the documentary, it was required for my communications course. My COM252 professor led us all to the auditorium and we all sat together.

I held back the tears that came. Pushed down the swelling in my heart. This was a vulnerability I didn't want to share with classmates.

-

I wanted to DO something.

-

Tonight, in a different auditorium on the other side of campus, they showed a second documentary.

I walked in the cold and sat down.

With people I trusted with my vulnerability.

And I felt the rhythm.

-

I saw faces.

I learned their names.

A familiar story unfolded.

The villain was finally introduced.

A plan was forming.

A plan of rescue.

-

This plan, which has impacted humanity,

was set in motion by three men my own age.

Humans with a passion.

Who found a third option.

Who are acting more like Christ than most preachers I know.

-

Humanity is being terrorized.

Innocence is being stolen.

Beauty is being extinguished.

-

But the gates of hell are being stormed.

-

I sat still in the auditorium for a few minutes when the documentary was over.

I was crying internally.

Weeping in my heart.

I could feel the swelling in my chest.

-

You see, I've always wanted to DO something.

-

There's a rhythm inside of me, which I feel belongs with a larger one.

As if I were created to be a part of a symphony.

I've always felt called to be a part of something BIG.

-

It's why I declared social work my major.

Because I can sit here on my bed and write down pretty words all night long.

But change only comes through action.

Change occurs when we take initiative.

-

When we cut a path where there has never been one before.

When we ask questions.

When we explore.

When we step outside our limits, our capabilities.

-

There are invisible children everywhere.

In our country.

In Kentucky.

In Lexington.

On your street.

-

The rhythm in my heart is growing stronger.

-

Let your prayers rise with the incense tonight.

For children who are being held captive.

For people who have been forgotten.

For those who are brave enough to do something about it.

For humanity.

-

Jesus has called us.

Let us storm the gates of hell.

And rescue the children.

No comments: