Sunday, June 8, 2008

My Campaign

This is the first presidential election I am able to vote in.

Consequently, this election will go down in history.

I'm excited to be a part of it.

But along with an eligibility to vote, has come a lot of thoughts of my own.

And I'm not even sure I should share them with you.

They're slightly complicated.

And I don't think you'll like what I have to say.

Oh well.

Barak Obama just won the Democratic Primary.

And a lot of you are mad about it.

Next year, Bush will leave the White House.

And a lot of you are happy about it.

In the near future we will see lots of social and economic changes such as universal healthcare, pulling troops out of Iraq, laws about gay marriage, and where you can send your child to school (and how much that will take out of your paycheck).

You have a lot to say about that.

These issues will affect your vote.

But I've been doing a lot of thinking.

And I've been talking it out, writing it out (using prepositions at the ends of my sentences and conjunctions at the beginning... you know, like a pro).

I'm a little frustrated.

Suddenly, I've found myself a little passionate about all of this.

I think something has to change.

Not "should", or "ought to".

It's not just a good idea.

Something has to change. Or else.

What is it that has to change, you ask me.

You.

You do.

I do.

What? You didn't sign up for this by opening this blog, I know. It's risky enough talking about politics openly like this. But to challenge you to a change of attitude, belief, or action... I should probably go crawl in a hole and await the wrath.

But it's true.

Or... at least I think it is.

Reagan was president when I was born. That fall, when I was six months old, Bush Sr. was elected. Since then, either a Bush or a Clinton has been in office. We've had a fluctuating economy, we've missed chances at "redemptive violence", we've declared war, there's been adultery and lying...

We elect these men.

It's been twenty years of Bush's and Clintons. And today, our economy is on the decline, we are in a war with an unknown purpose, and our dependence on foreign goods and oil is only increasing. Daily, we have people dying because they don't have healthcare and our jails are filled with kids charged with possession while our streets are filled with rapists.

We have guards at the borders of our country.

And hijackers on our planes.

We are fighting for pro-life laws, but our foster care system is horrendous.

We've told you that you have a right to vote.

You also have the right not to.

"We want you to be our president!" The majority of our polls say.

And they become the greatest thing since sliced bread...

Until they do something wrong.

Then it was our neighbor who voted for them.

And we put nasty bumper stickers on our cars.

They're not our president anymore.

Presidents go down in history as responsible for the bad things that happened, or renowned for the good that was done in their term.

That's not democracy at all.

You may think it is. It may be all you know. It may be what we teach our children in school.

But it's not right.

So I've come up with my own campaign.

I'm considering writing Obama... knowing full well he may never even get the letter (but no one could tell me I didn't try).

And letting him know what I think.

My campaign?

May be slightly reminiscent of the 1970s.

(That'd be okay with me.)

A president should be the voice of the people.

We should elect a president because he best represents our belief system, our political view, and addresses our societal issues in the best way feasible.

To have a president get up at a podium and "campaign"... to propose a solution, to promise change, to guarantee success... is a bunch of crap.

For us to solely blame a man for the action of a cabinet and a country is diffusion of responsibility.

The greatest achievements, the greatest change, has NEVER been caused by a president.

Think of Gandhi and MLK Jr. and Mother Teresa.

My campaign is for us to take back our government.

To get off our lazy... tails and to act.

Elect a president who will represent you, not lead you.

If you want something changed, change it.

If you don't like what you are seeing, do something about it.

You want to see this war end? Think about the America you want your sons and daughters to come home to.

Think about the America you want to raise your children and grandchildren in.

We've become apathetic.

We lay blame.

We accuse.

We judge.

But it's our fault.

We use the excuse all the time that one vote doesn't count.

One voice can't be heard.

You're definitely right.

But as cliche as it is, if many people, each with one voice and one vote come together...that is when change occurs.

Gandhi encouraged us to be the change we wished to see.

Margaret Mead said, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

Take back your government.

When you go to the voting booth in November, elect the man or woman who you want to represent you.

Who will have a loud voice, but speak our words.

Who will, because we elected them, have influence.

It won't be changed in a term.

Or even in two.

We've screwed it all up too badly.

And there's a lot of other issues we have to face.

More that you won't like. Not one little bit.

But take responsibility.

This is your home.

And mine.

2 comments:

Amylou28 said...

I agree with your philosophy, but the truth is that politicians are liars and NONE of them especially this time around represent me and my voice. At this point We need to be voting for the lesser of the two evils in order to keep the one we don't want out!

Anonymous said...

I found this post to be thought provoking--especially since I care very little for elections of any type. I have been apolitical most of my life. I will rethink my aloof approach.

Found this quote:

Elections are won by men and women chiefly because most people vote against somebody rather than for somebody.
- Franklin P. Adams


And I am not sure how you determine and decide who/what is the lesser of two evils?