Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Jesus and Hybrids

I was driving to work this morning, having just left the hospital where I drop off and pick up files. The sky was gray, but no rain had come yet. I didn't want to go to work, or school. It was a morning to sleep.

I was almost to work when a big old SUV pulled up alongside of me. I let off the gas a little, and the SUV kept going. North Carolina tags.Just a few seconds later I was beside the SUV again. I felt someone looking at me. So I turned to see who it was.

In a big old tan SUV with North Carolina tags sat a man who looked more like Jesus than anyone I have ever met. He had a beard halfway down his chest and his hair was matted and completely wild. He just stared at me, slowing down as we got to the stoplight. Not a creepy stare. Just steady eye contact. This wild man with a gaunt face and intense eyes just stared at me until I turned into my office parking lot.

I got into the office and laughingly told my coworkers that I had just seen Jesus driving down the road. Nettie looked at me and shrugged. "Maybe someone's trying to tell you something." I smiled. Amy looked at me and I knew some criticism was coming. I do not like to take criticism with my breakfast. It was way too early for that. But it came anyway. And not the way I'd expected.

"Well," she said. "I'd say that if Jesus were here today he wouldn't be driving at SUV." I almost choked. "He'd drive a small, economical car. Probably a hybrid." She laughed, but was completely serious.

I shook my head and said, "You're right. He probably wouldn't drive an SUV. He'd ride a bike. Or the bus."

She didn't like that answer very much. And so all day Tuesday, I thought about this. I laughed a little, wondering if this hippie man with a gas-guzzling sports utility vehicle from North Carolina knew what he got started....

And I was frustrated. How many of us think this way? That Jesus is just like us. Clean. Pale. Upper middle class. With good teeth. I remember Him telling us that we never know when we are entertaining angels. I remember Him saying that what we do for the least of these, we do for Him.

There's not a blessed thing wrong with driving a hybrid car. I like them. But I think, if we met Jesus today, He'd be riding down the road on a bike, wearing beat-up Chuck Taylors and a flannel shirt. He wouldn't have a dental plan and he might be a little leathery from all that work in the sun. But He would smile at you. He would want to take His lunch break with you, because He thinks you're special. But when you eat together, you might not want to sit downwind. My guess is He wouldn't have been able to shower for a few days.

Just an idea.

No comments: