Thursday, November 1, 2007

Legal Pad Notes (pt.1)

Just some thoughts that went through my mind today at the office... I will need you, my family, to help me elaborate and expand on these:

My prayer: "I will not lie. My heart needs to be changed just as much as anyone's. Father, take my heart and make it new."

Guilt wears off. This is the reason why donations flood in during the holiday season and then trickle off by February. We could show the public pictures of starving children, campaign for change in church services, and dish out statistics all day long. Something's missing to keep that conviction in the public's heart... a lifestyle change must occur. Guilt is not the avenue.

Part of the tragedy of the homeless is that so many of them have lost respect for themselves; they've lost their dignity to a state of utter desperation. It is our job, our calling, to help restore them.

Bus fares.

The least of these.

Giving my heart away (I am Yours, not my own).

The point is not to create an exclusive community, but to create a community that is big enough for the whole world.

What can we do to keep the public from accepting our flyers and tracts and throwing them into the next trash can, or onto the floorboards of their cars? Activism needs to become something far more than protesting and advertising... surely there's another answer.

We have to understand that we cannot change a whole generation over night. Mentality and behavior are modified over years and years... to change our mentality, to change our behavior, we must change what we believe. So pester the hell out of the adults who are stuck in their ways. And immerse the children in a new way of thinking. Teach them what our parents didn't teach us... maybe a new generation will rise from the ashes.

Our hearts are as hungry as our bellies. Our souls are as weak as our bodies.

No comments: